Apartment rules Boerhaave complex

 Dated 1 February 2022

 Apartments Van Swietenstraat and Boerhaavelaan

Technical issues

Technical issues can be reported on telephone number 071-5141766 or on e-mail address info@suwb.nl. Only urgent disturbances can be reported outside office hours.

Painting and repairs

In the apartment and in the general areas it is not allowed to repaint the walls, ceilings, woodwork etc. Clandestine overpainting and damage will be repaired at the tenant’s expense.

No drilling is allowed in the walls or ceiling. Only the use of ‘plastic concrete hooks’ is allowed to hang light poster and picture frames.


It is not allowed to change the current floor covering. All furniture legs shall be fitted by the tenant with plastic caps or self-adhesive felt to prevent damage to the marmoleum.


The outside of the windows is washed by a cleaning company. The inside should be cleaned by the tenant.

Avoid cracks in the glass: do not stick anything on the window and do not cover the windows with foil, newspapers or rubbish bags.

Objects in front of or on the window can cause temperature differences in the glass, resulting in a thermal break. You can reduce the risk of thermal breakage by adhering to the following rules.

-Do not glue or paint the glass.
-Do not place large objects directly behind the glass.
-Hang lamellas, curtains or Venetian blinds at least 6 centimeters away from the glass.

The tenant pays the bill for a new window; the glass insurance does not cover the damage of a thermal break.


Regularly ventilate your home by opening the windows ajar. This prevents condensation and mould.


There are curtains in the apartment. These curtains may not be removed or changed.

City heating (Vattenfall), electricity and water

Tenants must conclude a contract for the supply of city heating (Vattenfall) and electricity with an energy company on the effective date of the tenancy agreement. Regarding the supply of electricity, the tenant can make its own choice (e.g., Van de Bron, Greenchoice, Vattenfall, Eneco, etc.). SCIS and SHWJ provide information about the contact details and application procedure of the energy and water suppliers.

The intermediate meters in the meter box measure the individual consumption. Once a year, the tenant receives a statement from both Vattenfall (district heating), and the electricity supplier based on actual use less any advances that have been paid.

For water use, the tenant must also conclude a supply contract with Dunea.

When the rent of the apartment ends (the rent must be terminated one month in advance), the supply contracts with Vattenfall (district heating), electricity and Dunea (water) must also be terminated by the tenant. The suppliers will then prepare a final bill.


The residence is heated by underfloor heating. The heating can be controlled by the thermostat on the wall in the living room and in the bedroom(s). Malfunctions can be reported to the SHWJ.

Mechanical ventilation

The apartment is mechanically ventilated by means of a CO2-controlled ventilation unit. SHJW have the unit in the apartments inspected once a year. An appointment will be made with the tenant beforehand.

Open the window while/after cooking or showering. If there is insufficient ventilation when cooking or if the bathroom door is opened after a long and hot shower, the smoke alarm may go off. Do not panic. Once the cause has been eliminated, the sound signal will automatically switch off.

So avoid an unnecessary alarm and ventilate sufficiently.

Smoke detector

There is a smoke detector in the apartment. Press the test button to check whether the smoke alarm is still working. The battery must be replaced by the tenant. If there is insufficient ventilation when cooking or if the bathroom door is opened after a long, hot shower, the smoke alarm may go off. Once the cause has been eliminated, the alarm will automatically switch off. Avoid unnecessary alarms and ventilate sufficiently.

Fire safety

The corridors, communal areas (building entrances) and staircases are also escape routes. No bicycles, rubbish bags or other items may be placed there. For safety reasons, you may not place a doormat in the corridor.

Electric cooking

The apartment has a connection for induction cooking, a so-called perilex connection. The power for this is 220 volts. This means that this connection is only suitable for cooking with induction pans on a 4-burner induction cooker. If pans not suitable for induction are used, the cooker will break down and the tenant will have to pay for the repair. There is also a tabletop fridge in the kitchen.

Internet and television

In this building, cheap and fast internet and television from Ziggo is available. You pay for this via the service costs in the rent.

 Activating internet

The internet is not wireless. A network cable must be purchased by yourself. Connect the network cable to the LAN connection in the wall to the computer. When connecting to the internet for the first time, you will see a start screen. Enter the contract number and date of birth. The 11-digit contract number can be found on the top left of the rental contract.

If you prefer wireless internet, you need to buy a router. Always check first with ITT desk which type of router is required and how it can best be connected.

In case of problems with internet and television: contact the ITT desk. Tel.nr. 031-8501403.

Bicycle storage

There is a communal bicycle storage area on the ground floor. Please do not park your bicycle in communal areas or in front of the entrance to the residence or building. This blocks escape routes and hinders emergency services when they need to get into the building quickly. Bicycles that we find in the communal hallway will be removed. Bicycles that are in the way must be moved. We remove bicycles that are parked inappropriately. The owner of the bike will have to pay the costs (for removal and storage; about €30). When the costs have been paid to the SHWJ, you can collect your bicycle (by appointment). The Boerhaave Foundation and the SHWJ are not responsible for any damage to locks that had to be sawed through to remove the bicycle.

Visitors can place their bicycles outside in the bicycle racks.

The 3- and 4-room residences have their own bicycle storage area on the ground floor.


The building has one lift.

Cleaning your own apartment

Your apartment must be cleaned regularly. When the tenancy agreement ends, you should clean your apartment thoroughly before you leave. Careless cleaning can lead to non-payment of the deposit.

Cleaning common areas

The entrance hall, corridors and staircases are cleaned by a cleaning company: all residents contribute to this in the service costs. All residents pay a share of the service costs for this. They are jointly responsible for keeping the entrance hall, corridors and staircases clean.


Each resident has their own locked post box that can be opened from the inside with a Polvo key. The residences on the ground floor have their own letterbox in the front door of the residence.


There is a video phone in the apartment with which the entrance door can be opened, and one can communicate with visitors.

Washing machines

Each apartment is provided with a place to place a washing machine. You have to place the washing machine yourself. The dryer can be placed on top of the washing machine.


There is paid parking in the vicinity or a (paid) parking permit can be requested from the municipality of Leiden via the website Gemeente Leiden, under “Parkeervergunning aanvragen voor bewoners” (request parking permit for residents) or at the municipal office Bargelaan 190.


Waste belongs in the waste containers. The caretaker or caretaker will remove any waste bags left on the gallery or in the corridor; the costs are to be borne by the tenant. Waste can be deposited in the underground containers on the outside of the building. A pass can be obtained from the municipality of Leiden via the website Municipality of Leiden, under “Inhabitants and businesses”; “Waste”; “Waste containers”; “Apply for an underground waste container pass”, or at the municipal office Bargelaan 190, or by calling 14071. Please state clearly that it concerns a self-contained dwelling.

Surplus household effects

Surplus household effects must be taken to the municipal recycling center of the municipality of Leiden.

Service costs

In addition to the basic rent, an advance payment is made for the service costs. The service costs do not include costs for the individual consumption of district heating, electricity and water. Please note: the contracts for city heating, electricity and water must be concluded by the tenant himself. One also pays an advance for service charges each month. Which costs fall under the service costs is stated in the rental contract.

Rent allowance

If you want to know whether you are eligible for housing benefit, we refer you to the website of the tax authorities. On this site you can find out under which conditions you can be eligible for housing benefit and how you can arrange this. The information required for applying for housing benefit can be found in your rental contract or in the specification of the most recently sent annual rent increase letter.


Every tenant is given three Polvo keys that can be used to open the general doors, the entrance door to the residence, the storage door and the post box in the central hall. This Polvo key is programmed per apartment. A normal key is issued for the meter box.

In case of loss of key or lockout, you can call the caretaker for assistance on tel. 071-5141766. Within office hours the costs for solving a key loss or lockout are € 50, –. Outside office hours (at night and in the weekend) the costs are € 100, –.

Return of keys

At the end of the tenancy agreement, the keys can be left in the mailbox of your own residence on the ground floor. Put the key(s) in an envelope stating the address or attach an address label to the key(s).

Taxes and benefits

As a tenant in Leiden you pay two municipal taxes:

– waste levy (costs for the removal of household waste and bulky waste in the municipality),
– sewerage charges (costs for the maintenance of the sewer).

In most cases, the Tax Cooperation Gouwe-Rijnland (BSGR) sends the bill (assessment) directly to the tenant, in which case the bill must be paid by the tenant himself.

It is also possible that the landlord receives the bill and passes it on to the tenant via the service costs. Check your contract for an overview of the service costs.

Under certain conditions, a waiver of municipal taxes can be obtained. The conditions can be found on the website of the BSGR.


As of January 1, 2022, a deposit of €750 will be charged to new tenants upon signing the tenancy agreement and commencement of occupancy.

If, after termination of the tenancy agreement, the apartment is handed over clean, without any defects, with the inventory present and full payment of the tenancy obligation, the deposit will be refunded.